Proof that miracles happen

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Pointing out the Miracles

In less than one week, I am going to be 29!! I can't believe it. It is crazy how time flies. Last year on July 25th, my 28th birthday, we brought Isabella home with her new trach and vent. She was a happy, smiley little bundle of joy. We felt she was given a new lease on life. It was crazy having nurses in our home 24/7 but we needed the help. Then just 4 short day later, I was standing over my sweet baby girl bagging her and praying to God that he did not take her from me. As the ambulance arrived I felt my whole world crashing because I couldn't believe she was crashing on us again. Some of you may know that we couldn't get a flight out to Children's Mercy at the time. There was a bunch of storms and helicopters could not fly in the KC area. So we took a helicopter ride to Joplin. We waited in their ER until we could find a flight. Isabella lay in the ER with fright in her eyes. She was gasping for each breath even though her ventilator was on. She was in severe pulmonary hypertension. Her temp sky rocketed to 106 and her blood sugar bottomed out to 32. When the flight team arrived, Matt and I begged them to let us both ride with her to CMH. I still had hope but I really thought it would be the last time I saw her. When we arrived at CMH she was in DIC (when your blood will no longer coagulate) She was in shock and they assumed she was septic (infection through the entire body). That was July 31st. She cardiac arrested the next day and they did chest compressions. The doctors told us they were concerned about her brain function. They were pretty sure that all that had happened had caused my daughter to suffer brain damage. They told us she would probably live through this ordeal of crashing but they were not very confident that she would live long term. They really felt she would crash again and then not be able to bounce back. Then they did the MRI and confirmed her brain damage. They told us she was blind and deaf and that the Isabella we knew was gone and would never come back. She was never going to be the same.
So you ask, why am I reliving all of this for everyone to read?? Well it has been almost one year since that fateful night. Almost one year since Isabella was thought to have never been able to come back to us. I want everyone to see and understand the significance of the miracle we have witnessed over the last year. My baby can see!! My baby can hear!! My baby now smiles and laughs!! She knows who her mommy and daddy and sisters are!! She now says La and Ma and she rolls over and she does so many more things that they NEVER thought she would. We were told she would probably be in a vegetative state and never make another purposeful movement in her life. We were told she would NEVER regain her sight or hearing. We were told she would probably not make it to her first birthday and that we should just take her home and let her go peacefully. If that is not all a miracle of God then what is?? I praise God everyday for Isabella. She still has a long road and that road is very unknown and scary. Thank you to all of you who have prayed and continue to pray for us. The support we have had is unreal!! So thank you and God Bless you all.
I also want to take the time to remember two of the sweetest angels Heaven will ever know. Sweet Little Gabi Acker and Precious Ava Boeckman. I feel lucky and blessed to have known these precious little girls. They will be forever loved and forever missed.

10 comments:

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

Wow...reading this brought tears to my eyes. Just being there, like you and knowing the fear and pain you two as parents have endured. It is hard to relive those moments, recalling what your baby has been through and remembering the fear in their eyes. Bella is a miracle.

I am so proud to know your family. You guys are amazing. Bella is so lucky to have you two as parents.

Happy early birthday...I am sure it will be a great one!!!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

Happy Birthday!

Bella is set to do wonderful things and I can't wait to see what she does next!

I am so glad she is doing so well!

Caden said...

Bella IS a miracle, and she will continue to amaze everyone. I hope you let those doctors know every time you go up to KC how great she is doing! Rub it in! :)

Happy Birthday to you! I didn't know our birthdays were so close to each other! Mine is on the 29th.

If I don't talk to you before, have a good one!

Ashlea

Anonymous said...

NEVER NEVER GIVE UP...26 YEARS AGO MY SON JAMIE WAS BORN WITH FORSEPPS
UNKOWM TO US HE HAD HEMOPHILIA...6 DAYS LATER HE CRASHED AND ALMOST DIED 2X..HE NEEDED BRAINSURGERY AND THEY TOOK 1/3 OF HIS BRAIN OUT..WE WERE TOLD IF HE WILL MAKE IT HE WILL BE A VEGETBLE.26 YEARS LATER. HE IS BLIND IN 1 EYE, DEAF IN 1 EAR LEFT SIDE WEAKNESS , SEIZURES AND HEMOHPHILIA. TAKES OVER 35 PILLS A DAY.. BUT HE GRADUATED HIGHSCHOOL AND WORKS A FULLTIME JOB AND MOST OF ALL HE IS A VERY SPECIAL YOUNG MEN WITH A HEART OF GOLD AND CARES FOR EVEYBODY...HE IS OUR MIRACLE..EVERY DAY IS A BLESSING
SO THANK GOD EVERY DAY AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY

adrianna york said...

I just wanted to say that I am sorry that I did not know what you went thew with Isabella unitl I read it today. I do want to say Happy Brithday Megan. It is a gift from God to have Isabella here every day reading about how wonderful she is doing. I just wanted say that I am so thankful that God let me have my little girl in my life and I dont know what I would do without her. I am so thankful that Isabella is here with you and her daddy and her big sisters. Just watching her grow up and the other girls is what life is all about. I do hope you have a wonderful Brithday and have lots of fun this year. you all are in my thoughts and paryers everyday.
Love you all from Adrianna and Kim

Becca said...

That totally made me tear up, too. You are wonderful, devoted parents and are Isabella's best advocates--you know more than anyone what she's capable of, and you'll never give up. How can anyone give up on their own flesh and blood? I wonder about some of the stuff doctors say sometimes. You'd think they'd be more cautious about not making assumptions, when I'm sure they've seen amazing things happen many times. Bella's an amazing little girl, and I hope we get the pleasure to meet her one day!

Izzy, Emmy 'N Alexander said...

BTW, Karen over at The Bryant Family News has passed on a Blog Award to you. Check it out!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Chelsey

BeckyRN said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MEGAN!!! Hope you enjoyed it, and spent some time on yourself as well. Miss you guys.

Angela said...

Happy Birthday! 29! You young thing, you!

Your story is amazing. Keep telling it.