Proof that miracles happen

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Almost There

Wow she is almost there. Only 5 more days until Bella reaches her very first birthday, and only 4 more days until party time. I have been party planning and preparing like crazy. It is going to be quite the little event. I am just not sure if her party dress is going to fit. (Sorry Bella but you have gotten just a bit chunky)!!
A little trip down memory lane is in order!! Enjoy a few pics from over the year. I tried to pick ones that depicted this year.


Bella at 3 weeks old. Here she just got back from the cath lab to confirm her diagnosis of Truncus Arteriosus. I used to think this t-shirt would NEVER fit her. Now she could wear it as a night shirt, still too big but doesn't swallow her. She is still stuck at 5 lbs here.






Another picture of our first CMH visit in January. It is hard to believe it has been a year. In some aspects it feels like this year has flown but it also feels like it has been a lifetime ago. She just looks so fragile here. After being in cath lab, she just shot right into Congestive Heart Failure.




My feelings here can only be described as heart broken. When she was diagnosed, I remember feeling like the world of crashing in on me. I felt more helpless than I have ever felt in my life. I can't even find the words to describe those days.





This is the first time I saw Bella right out of open heart surgery in Feb. I remember standing at the door of her PICU room afraid to go in. I was afraid of the image of her laying there with her chest open being etched in my mind forever. I was afraid for her. I again have never felt so helpless in my entire life.





This was her third stay in May. She is the same size here that she was in February. She couldn't gain any weight because she was using all of her energy just to breath.







Here we are in June. Bella was feeling pretty good at this point.







Back again in June to get a trach. We didn't have any other options at this point. After being in respiratory distress so many times, Matt and I were releived to finally be moving forward. So in other words, we welcomed the trach with open arms.


Well you know the rest of the story. Since July we have suffered some brain damage from either low blood sugar, high temp or lack of oxygen, who knows. We were told she was blind and deaf but she regained her hearing and her sight is improving. This picture was taken on the 12-
12-07, so just a few days ago. I will tell you what I see. I see a happy baby that know nothing but love.
She is so precious and wonderful to me.


TO MY PRECIOUS BELLA

God has great plans for you my little one

They said you wouldn't make it

But your time here is not done

You have surpassed all expectation and wowed us all

With your courageous fight and will to live

Our precious baby doll

One year old you are

I can't believe it's true.

I can't believe the way this roller coaster of a year

just flew

For you my baby girl I pray for many years to come

I pray that you continue to wow them all

and even baffle some

So Bella Happy Birthday, this is

A Monumental event

Because something this truly special

Had to be Heaven sent.

Love Always and Forever, Mommy




I will be keeping everyone updated on Bella's Birthday. And as promised I will be posting tons and tons of pics. I would also like to thank everyone who has sent gifts already!! It is touching to know that my little one has touched so many of your lives. I love hearing about how she has captured hearts. It amazes me that children like Bella can have such a powerful impact on the world.


Love To All










9 comments:

mommy to Kaden, Brody and angel Ava said...

You did a wonderful job on the poem, it brought tears to my eyes. It crazy how fast a year can pass by, but looking back at it makes it sometimes feel like forever ago. Bella has been through a lot in the past year, it will be so fun for you all to celebrate BIG...she deserves it, you deserve it. Happy Birthday Bella (would you mind if I call her "Bella Boo"...it just kind of came out when I started typing Happy Birthday). I am big on nicknames...you should hear all of Kaden's. I don't want to refer to her as that though if you don't want me to, so don't be afraid to say no way!!! Anyway, as always thinking and praying for you all.

Love, Amy

Angela said...

Beautiful poem, Megan. What a year you've had. I'm sure you've heard: That which doesn't kill you makes you stronger. You are a strong woman indeed.

Merry CHRISTmas!
Angela

adrianna york said...

I am glad to hear that you are doing good Bella. I just wanted to say Happy Birthday Bella and I hope you like the pupy dogs. You are in my thoughts and parys. Hope you have a wonderful time at your birthday party.

From Adrianna and her mommy Kim

Anonymous said...

Megan,

I love the poem! But most of all I love the trip down memory lane. She looks great in the last picture. That is our Bella!

Love to all,
Kim

BeckyRN said...

Look at her smiling and posing for the camera again!!! I love that last pic, and your poem is very sweet. You have definately had a crazy year, so don't forget to take some time out for yourself and enjoy the day as much as she does!

BeckyRN said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angel Gabi's Mommy said...

What a beautiful poem, Bella will treasur eit forever! Megan, you and Matt are doing such an amazing job with her. She could not of made it this far if it weren't for your encouragement and belief. So keep believing!
This party is going to be amazing, I just wish we could be there. We will be thinking of and anxiously awaiting pictures!
Love and prayers to all of you!!!
Only 3 days...
Bella Boo we love you:)

Sarah Freund said...

Thank you so sharing the pics. What an amazing life!

Keep growing and getting stronger!

Sarah

The Diva said...

I'm at work, looking at your page. I guess I have never gone all the way back to these earlier posts. You know the thing that caught me off-guard was the picture of you at Bella's bedside right after surgery. You guys were in room 14, right? We were in 24. Right across the hall. I remember looking over at you guys, not knowing for sure if you were the "other truncus family" or not. But even then, I didn't know you, and in that moment, I wanted to reach out to you. I knew there was a reason our rooms were positioned the way they were. I think you saw me too, but I can't remember for sure. You guys looked as scared as I felt... and I'm sure I looked the same. To me, he looked like a paper doll, that would break if I touched him. I was so scared to touch him. I didn't want him to break! We had no idea what was in store for us that day, but I'm glad that we met. That picture just brings it all back, and puts me in that room all over again. That's a great poem, too.